GREEN CHILE STEW
Note: You can substitute canned green chile peppers for the roasted. From the Santa Fe School of Cooking.
- • 1 1/2 lb. beef stew meat, pork or chicken, cut in 1/2 -in. pieces
- • 1/4 c. oil
- • 2 onions, diced
- • 4 c. chicken or beef stock
- • 2 tsp. salt
- • 4 potatoes, cubed
- • 1 red bell pepper, diced
- • 2 garlic cloves, minced
- • 3 c. chopped roasted green chiles
- • 2 tbsp. cilantro, or more to taste
Brown meat in oil in large saucepan. Add onions and continue to cook until onions are brown on edges. Add stock and salt; bring to boil. Add potatoes and simmer 1 to 2 hours.
Add bell peppers and garlic. Cook for another 30 minutes. Add green chile and cilantro and cook another 15 to 20 minutes.
Variations: Add any or all, to taste: posole, pinto beans, corn, tomatoes, chipotles en adobo and crushed coriander seed.